CSBA to Host 2018 Leadership Institute: The Science of Leading Students to STEM Success
Event provides education leaders the skills needed to facilitate student success in science and math
SACRAMENTO, Calif., (July 12, 2018) --CSBA’s 2018 Leadership Institute: The Science of Leading Students to STEM Success, taking place July 13 and 14 at San Francisco’s Palace Hotel, will demystify many of the issues surrounding STEM education and show how governance teams can support students and keep California at the forefront of innovation.
As the state prepares to approve the first ever standards in computer science and to move beyond the field test stage of the Next Generation Science Standards, education leaders have a responsibility to see that these standards are implemented with fidelity and in a way that prepares all students – regardless of background – for success in college, career, and civic life. The Leadership Institute will provide crucial insights on policies and practices that governing teams can use to support STEM learning and promote equity, access and excellence. The event also features a special, bonus workshop on the critical and topical issue of school safety.
Nationally renowned practitioners in the fields of technology, science, math, education, venture capital, and public safety will provide school board members, superintendents, and other education leaders with the knowledge needed to develop policy that facilitates student success in the STEM fields.
For more details on the speakers and topics at CSBA’s 2018 Leadership Institute: The Science of Leading Students to STEM Success, please see the schedule below.
Friday, July 13
- 9:00 a.m. - 10 a.m. | Purposeful Leadership, Susan Decker (General Session)
- 10:15 - Noon | Concurrent Sessions
- Noon- 1:30 p.m. | Talking Tech: A Conversation with Ann Miura-Ko (General Session)
- 1:30 - 3:15 p.m. | Concurrent Sessions
- 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.| Creating Leaders of the Future, Maggie Johnson (General Session)
Saturday, July 14
- 8:15 - 9:15 a.m. | Introductions/ Case Studies: Facility Programs to Fuel STEM Student Achievement
- 9:15 - 10 a.m. | Computer Science: It's Foundational, Hadi Partovi (General Session)
- 10:15 - Noon| Concurrent Sessions
- Noon - 2:00 p.m. | Cracking the Code: Bringing Technology to Girls of Color, Kimberly Bryant/Stephanie Castillo (General Session)
- 2:00 p.m. Adjourn
To download the full event schedule and session descriptions, click here.
For more information, visit li.csba.org; for questions about press availability, please contact CSBA Sr. Director of Communications Troy Flint at (415) 902-8589 or email@example.com.
CSBA is a nonprofit association representing nearly 1,000 PreK-12 school districts
and county offices of education throughout California.