CSBA, with support from the David and Lucille Packard Foundation, has created the following resources to help governance teams lean about and plan for effective summer programs.
Resources for Planning and Implementing Summer Learning Programs
These materials support school board members looking to expand or implement summer learning programs for their students.
Board study sessions
These materials can be used by governance teams in planning for and conducting a study session for the whole board. They can also be used by individual board members seeking to learn about effective summer programs.
- Lesson II: Assessing the Needs in Your District (Lesson Plan / Presentation)
- Lesson III: Putting Together the Pieces that Make Summer Work (Lesson Plan/ Presentation)
- Supporting Materials
- Case Studies: Strategies for Funding
- Case Studies: Partnerships
- Case Studies: Using Summer to Advance Staff Capacity
- Resource Guide: Funding Summer Learning
- Resource Guide: Evaluation Tools
- Video: Staffing
- Video: Partnerships
Other supporting resources:
Policy briefs and fact sheets
- CSBA has board policies related to summer learning program, including BP 6177: Summer Learning Programs and BP 3552: Summer Meal Program. Subscribers can access these policies through Gamut Online.