Begin the journey toward an equitable future.
CSBA's Equity Network training provides a platform for superintendents and two trustees to collaborate and build capacity to govern through the lens of equity that will lead to improved opportunities and outcomes for historically and marginalized students.
Facilitators will offer best practices that can be immediately developed and implemented at the school level while engaging all stakeholders and encouraging student voice as a valued and necessary contributor to positive change towards equity.
During the first segment of the Equity Network training, participants will attend four 3-hour courses covering a variety of equity related topics. The program will include a safe and engaging professional learning space where cohorts will engage in gaining awareness of educational and racial equity concepts as well as best practices for effective governance.
Download the Quick Guide
Program fee: $4,000 (includes registration for one superintendent and two board members)
Please register the superintendent only and contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org to add two trustees at no additional cost.
Fall Virtual Equity Training
Governance with an Equity Lens: A Systemic Approach to Closing Equity Gaps in Public Education
Saturday, September 16, 2023 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday, October 7, 2023 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday, November 4, 2023 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday, January 13, 2024 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Nicole Anderson, Nicole Anderson and Associates Consulting, LLC.
- Deborah Keys Write, The Write Keys 2 Consulting, LLC.
Guest presenters include graduates of original statewide equity network, experts in the field, and practitioners
This program will provide a superintendent and two trustees with a platform to:
- Learn and share best practices and experiences with board members/superintendents across California.
- Understand the purpose and impact of historical events on public education.
- Define equity through data and student stories.
- Recognize the barriers to equity (implicit bias, stereotypes, and racism).
- Reflect on the role of the governance team in perpetuating or ending educational gaps.
- Understand a system’s approach to interrupting patterns of inequities within the district.
- Understand how to develop/evolve equity statements.
- Understand the components of an equity policy.
- Understand how to establish a protocol for the review, revision, and development of all policies with an equity lens for sustainable change.
- Understand the 8 characteristics of effective boards.
Understand effective governance practices:
- Establishing board priorities focused on equity.
- Asking questions of the staff/Supt
- Understanding qualitative/quantitative data presented by staff
- Measuring the Impact of the equity policy
- Aligning equity work to the district’s belief statements
- Leverage the equity sub-committee to strategically develop an equity impact action plan to effectively facilitate equity work and implement the LCAP in the district.
Once you’ve completed the program, you will have the opportunity to partner with the facilitators to provide customized support for your entire governance team through the following services:
- Engage in quarterly study sessions/board retreats focused on effective governance practices.
- Conduct a board evaluation.
- Engage in a book study (Governance Book)
- Engage in equity walks.
- Receive individual board member coaching.
- Board meeting observation/feedback
- Support in applying and monitoring equity policy/statement
- Support policy subcommittee
Start the process towards an equitable future, become part of CSBA’s Equity Network by registering today